Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Catch Up

It's been a month or more since I promised I would update on all of the happenings and changes in recent time. Well, I'm a blog promise breaker I guess. Intentions are great, but they sure don't keep you in the loop, eh?


Quick recap of July/August: July ended in an abrupt fashion, meaning the last week came and I wouldn't have minded if it lasted forever instead it plopped me out of a 15-passenger van with my bags and sent me packing. Literally! :) I ended my race at Hull First Reformed August 2 and spent my final 6 days doing my favorite part of the job - Work Camp and Power Connection with my junior high students in Kansas City, MO. Notice I still claim them as mine. It was a bitter-sweet week - great to spend that time with those kids and the sponsors but more and more difficult as the week progressed and we neared the return to Hull. The van of bobble-head snoozing junior high kids didn't notice, but I was praying and choking back tears much of the last 1/2 home! All in all, I am so blessed to have been where I was doing what I was doing for as long as I was able. I know full well that I grew more than any of them did and I also know my move out will be a much greater blessing for them than if I had stayed... surrendering to His will for more than the self is truly a humbling path to walk.

Junior High Sponsors, Starla & Loren:

Junior High sponsor, Justin:
With some 8th grade girls before a ride in our trailer to the guys dorm - goal: scare whomever opened the trailer. Thanks to Justin for making this goal EASY to achieve!


August: The first week my friend Becky and I took a road trip to Colordado. We went to Rocky Mountain National Park; Mount Evans; Denver; Royal Gorge; Pike's Peak; and saw a few other "sights" - the Denver Bronco's football stadium and a team practice, a Tenth Avenue North Concert, and I don't know what else right now. It was a great trip and we could have seen much more - but our pop-can money ran out after 4 nights of hotels (seriously!), so it was time to go home! Guess we'll have to go back someday!

"Welcome to Colorado" is on the sign that you can't see... it was late and it was pouring rain when we crossed into CO:
At Roxky Mountain National Park. 12,110 feet above sea level:
On the Royal Gorge Bridge - the World's Highest Bridge:

The rest of the month flew by with simple busyness - organizing my new life, preparing for school (books, finances, other needs), having lunch with a few friends, spending time with other friends, started a new job (cleaning houses in Sioux Falls, part-time), etc. I also took a 4-day class (as apposed to taking it on Fridays during the first semester) called Graduate Theological Research and decided I prefer writing blog entries and letters to friends over research papers!!! One thing's for sure - I am so glad I don't have to deal with that all semester!
And now - September 2. I began my 14-credit course load on Monday and so far, so good. More details in the next blog (which I'm just gonna write right now so I don't become a chronic blog promise breaker).
There, you're caught up and I'm caught up.... so does that mean we played catch?

No comments:

Post a Comment